Sunday, June 25, 2006

Spot The Difference

When I saw this BBC report my antennae pricked up.

A 34-year-old man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a car ran into a group of teenagers has been released on police bail.
The crash happened late on Friday in Jerome Way in Shipton-On-Cherwell, Kidlington, Oxfordshire.

A 17-year-old youth remains in a serious but stable condition in the John Radcliffe hospital after suffering severe head injuries.

Two other 17-year-olds suffered minor injuries and a fourth youth was unhurt.

A man arrested after the crash was bailed on Sunday and told he will have to return to Banbury police station on 25 July.


Thus the £3 billion, taxpayer-funded BBC. Why should a 34-year old take it into his head to try to run over four teenagers in an Oxfordshire village. Was this some underclass 'domestic' - or a law-abiding citizen pushed to the limit - and beyond ?

As is increasingly the case, you have to go elsewhere to find the details.

A man aged 34 was being questioned on suspicion of attempted murder last night after he allegedly mowed down a group of teenagers who had apparently vandalised a car near his house. One of the victims, a 17-year-old, had severe head injuries. Two others aged 17 suffered minor injuries and a fourth was unhurt. A witness in Shipton-on-Cherwell, Oxfordshire said the car’s windows had been smashed with baseball bats and its tyres slashed late on Friday. The four teenagers were run down by a van shortly afterwards.


UPDATE - more in the Guardian and Sun.

Elsewhere the BBC does have some details. From Scallyland :

An 83-year-old man has collapsed and died of a heart attack after a confrontation with youths in a park.

The man argued with two boys in Hesketh Park in Southport, Merseyside, on Saturday afternoon, police said.

A pine cone was thrown at him during the altercation and soon after getting up from a bench he suffered a fatal heart attack.

He was taken to Southport Infirmary where he was pronounced dead. Police are treating the death as suspicious.

The man, who has not been named, is believed to have asked the youths to stop playing football in a rose garden.

1 comment:

Ross F said...

From the Sun-

{He claimed it was a tragic accident, saying he meant only to “cut off” the four 17-year-olds but he lost control as his van’s tyres had been slashed}

You have to love the irony.