Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thursday Night Is Music Night

Brought forward from Friday as I'm too tired to think about politics.

Via my son again - this Ben Harper chap sounds awfully like Wyclef Jean. I think I'll have to tell my son about unhealthy reggae if he's listening to lyrics like this.



Herb the gift from the earth,
And what's from the earth is of the greatest worth.
So before you knock it try it first,
Oh, you'll see it's a blessing and not a curse.
Well, yes - up to a point. What's from the earth isn't always of the greatest worth. The same sentiments that Gregory Isaacs expressed 20 years earlier. I think, like so many reggae singers, they're both channeling Genesis 1:29.

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
"To you it shall be for meat" doesn't IMHO translate as 'get it down your neck 24/7'. Let moderation in all things be your key to life. "The Road of Excess Leads to the Palace of Wisdom" was one of Blake's Proverbs of Hell. A quick look at this 'In Memoriam' page - or this one - should give pause for thought.

No comments: