Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dies Irae 3 - Kate McGarrigle

My middle son is a big Rufus Wainwright fan - he's at the piano most nights giving 'Dinner At Eight' a bash. When he told me it was about Rufus' dad (Loudon Wainwright III), I said 'so's this song from 30 years back' and played him Kate McGarrigle's heartbreaking 'Go Leave'.

The whole family saga is here in great detail. I did wonder if Rufus' sexual orientation was a result of trying to find that elusive lost father-figure, but he seems to be a nature-not-nurture kind of guy. And IMHO he has his mother's celestial harmonies.

Kate has died today age 63. I like to think she's doing a few Scots ballads with Bill McLaren right now.


It looks as if youtube have scoured all the recorded stuff off, so you'll have to suffice with this :



and for all those Rufus and Martha fans, the whole family doing Stephen Foster songs. Rufus was singing pretty good at 16.

No comments: